Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Winter already?

When I started this blog, I really thought I could post every couple of days without problem. And before my little side-kick was born, I guess I did. But among the many lessons she's taught me is how little time there really is in a day. Oh well.

So, here it is, mid-november already. Honey is officially five months old today, and beautiful.

The first picture was taken by my friend Caitlin when she visited in early October, already a month ago. Golly. It was awesome to finally get to spend time together in a way we hadn't since high school. We live worlds apart now, but both agree that my baby is the best baby in the whole wide world. The second picture I took of Honey just before mine and Trav's birthday, so October 23 or 24. She's such a cheerful person, pretty much game for anything all the time.
My friends Brooke and Trevor are expecting a baby in March, and Brooke recently wrote in a blog post about the delightful and less desirable things their child might inherit from each of them. I think about this constantly in regards to my lovely Honey. Some things, especially the physical, are obvious already. She clearly has my piano fingers and flared rib cage, and she's lean like Travis with the increasingly platinum blonde hair of his baby days. Her big little head is shaped just like Travs, but she hasn't escaped my clown feet. All of these things have been immediately visible since the very beginning, but its those parts of her we have yet to see that are a burning mystery. She's already full of such quiet determination, just like her dad, but will she also enjoy speed and adventure? Will she be fascinated with the processes of things or find comfort in her own creativity like I do? Will she freckle or tan? When she can dress herself, what will she wear?
Her development is incredible to watch. "Development" seems like the wrong word. It seems like she's really revealed a little more with each new skill she aquires. Now that she can use her hands more purposefully, we get to see what toys she likes best, what things are most interesting to her. Now that she has command of her head, she can turn it and it's senses toward whatever it is she's most entertained by. She can find her own entertainment, to some extent, in the environment around her, letting us glimpse just a little bit more of her personality.

No comments: